Sunday, May 15, 2011

PRAYER SHAWL BLESSING CEREMONY

I believe that I mentioned in this Blog before the prayer shawl that was given to me from the Pastoral Care Team at Franklin Square Hospital Center during one of my many stays at the hospital for in-patient chemotherapy, etc. The prayer shawl was given to me at a very difficult time in my recovery and it was very meaningful to me, but I didn't know a lot about the prayer shawl ministry and volunteers until today. Rev. Cherie Smith called last week to invite me to speak as a "prayer shawl receiver" at the 6th Annual Prayer Shawl Ministry Blessing and Celebration that was held today at the hospital. She explained to me that there were approximately 100 women (and one or two men) who knitted and/or crocheted prayer shawls and donated them to the pastoral care staff to distribute to those in need of healing at the hospital. The event was a small thank you to the volunteers and she expected about 50 people to attend. Most of the attendees were the actual makers of the prayer shawls, but there were some others from the pastoral care team there, as well as a couple of Pastors and Ministers from the community. Apparently, some of the shawl makers are nurses and others that are associated with the hospital, but many of them are from community churches and senior centers or just talented people who have been touched by tragedy and use their talent to give back to the community. Over 3,000 shawls have been distributed to the Franklin Square Hospital Community since the beginning of the prayer shawl ministry. The shawls are made and delivered to the pastoral care team and usually distributed by pastoral care, so most of the volunteers never know where their shawls go or to whom. Rev. Cherie wanted me to speak about the shawl that was given to me so that the volunteers would have a deeper uderstanding of it's physical and spiritual importance to a recipient. I was honored to share my story, but I was more honored to hear from the various volunteers and how meaningful their work is to them. The stories were truly inspirational and so were the volunteers. Most of them pray for the receiver of the shawl as they make it - yes, they pray for a person that they do not know and that may not even be ill yet! One of the volunteers told me that she had crocheted 100 shawls herself. She liked to use bold colors to keep her interest and make the needlework go faster. Another volunteer said that she listened to a tape of the rosary being prayed in her parish as she knitted - that way, extra prayers went into each stitch. Some women made them in their spare time and others made them as part of prayer groups or knitting clubs. One of the women offered to teach me how to make one, but I would have to join the class as the Senior Center and pay the admittance fee - I'm not sure if I am eligible to join the Senior Center or not, but I may just check it out! :) It was a delightful day - there was so much positive energy in the room. What an incredible group of people and very special ministry.

4 comments:

  1. Deb,
    I've been having a horrible day - week, month - well, suffice to say it's been a struggle. I've been praying and doing a lot of "soul searching" lately. I want you to know....I need you to know that I truly appreciate the blessing of you.

    I've been trying to come out of my fog for some time now and have been doing a decent job of hiding it from most people. I won't go into all the details, but seeing Wanda struggle has a lot to do with the way I'm feeling. Today has been particularly difficult.

    I happened to come across your blog as one of my "favorites" in my bookmarks. I've read the last few entries and I feel much better. Your outlook on life and the positive energy you exude is contagious. When I last saw you (at my Mom's 80th) you looked so tired and sad - not what I'm used to seeing in you. I didn't want to push you (continue asking "what's wrong"), but it hurt so much to see you that way. I guess up until that point I only saw you on your good days and selfishly forgot that you've had plenty of bad days mixed in.

    It may sound selfish of me, but I would like to ask you to please continue to post here. Your words give me comfort and strength...more than you may know. I love reading over your older blogs and looking back at your progress. Every time someone in my family starts to talk about Wanda's health and they seem to be losing hope, I bring up your name. And I'm not the only person in my family that does it!

    You are our personal poster child, whether you mean to be or not. Please know that we love you and we appreciate you.

    Amy xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW - thank you for your kind thoughts. I don't know what to say. I will say that someone else mentioned to me that I had not posted lately and I wanted to post this evening and just saw your comment and I was overwhelmed. I am happy to be your personal poster child! I thought of Wanda earlier today and sent her a funny note in hopes of lifting her spirits. Your entire family has been a great source of support and comfort to me during this cancer and the one eleven years ago (yes, ELEVEN years ago!). I try to remember that each day is a "bonus", even the bad ones. It is funny, I was totally against writing the Blog when it was suggested to me, but so many people have felt that it was helpful to them (sometimes just for a good laugh!). I know that it has helped me personally. It has permitted me to say things that I may have never said out loud. It also helps me to put things in perspective - especially tonight, knowing that I will have surgery again tomorrow. It helps to keep me in check - I need constant reminders to take one day at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you today - hoping all goes well and you will be back on your feet with your bionic hips going strong!!! Tell Bonnie to keep us updated (she's got nothing better to do!) :)

    Take care, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. I am now resting at my parent's house and doing fairly well. I should be doing the chicken dance in no time flat!

    ReplyDelete