Thursday, August 4, 2011

Update - 5 weeks since left hip replacement

Although I am totally sick and tired of physical therapy and being in "recovery", I am doing well. I graduated to walking with a cane this week. I can actually walk un-assisted, but I sort of wobble, so I don't want to get in that habit, so the cane it is. Aside from that, I am progressing. Still going to out-patient physical therapy twice a week - it is still grueling and painful. This time around, the pain has been more continuous. I am still having trouble sleeping. The minute I lie flat (which I have to for a few more weeks), the pain gets very intense and keeps me awake. It is very annoying! I have good strength in the operated leg when standing, but I have trouble with balance and stamina. I also can't raise that leg very high on it's own - I sort of have to pick it up to get in and out of a car. The physical therapist thinks that I am doing great - but he is not the one struggling and in pain! The other problem is that my arms/shoulders are really beginning to hurt again - if it is not one thing, it is another! The good news is that I am PROGRESSING - so that is all that matters for now.

3 comments:

  1. Was just thinking about you tonight and wondering how you were; i always check this before I email you so you don't have to continually repeat things in email. I agree with your PT; sounds like you're doing great. Sorry about the pain, though. That part must really suck. But you're so close. Hang in!

    xo,

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recovery doesn't come that real fast. Patience is very much needed in your case. Continue your session with your PT and you'll be back in shape in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be patient and hang on. Eventually you will recover. I know how painful recovery it is and how much effort does it take. My mother had hip replacement surgery a year ago, and now she is doing great. She's relatively old and I'm always concerned about complications. I pray that she won't develop any complications down the road.
    Wish you a fast and full recovery.
    Best,
    Colin.

    ReplyDelete