Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day! I know that a lot of single people don't like Valentine's Day, but for the most part I have always liked it. I do remember a few single years when it seemed as if everyone in the office, but me, received a big bouquet of flowers or candy or a singing telegram. I also remember friends and co-workers coming in after Valentine's Day with their stories of romantic dinners and even engagements. I guess that some of those times were sort of depressing, but I actually always like the holiday. Something abut all the bright reds and pinks during the dreary part of winter - something to help get over the doldrums of winter. I know, this year, Baltimore really hasn't experienced the doldrums of winter, but we usually do! And yes, I understand all the complaints that it is a holiday designed to sell greeting cards, candy and flowers - but really, are those things that bad! No one is telling people to go out and mortgage their house to buy a Valentine's Day gift! I know, like all holidays and celebrations, people have gotten carried away with the gift giving and the hopes and dreams related to the holiday, but the sentiment should be the real thought - letting someone know that they are special really should be all that is needed. Okay, I guess that I could do with a few less lovey dovey Hallmark Movies, but for the most part - all the romance in the air (and on tv) are pretty nice.
So, whatever your love-life status is, enjoy the day, enjoy the sentiment, lighten up a little or at least just enjoy the bright colors of the holiday! Happy Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment