Sunday, April 25, 2010

ROSE GARDEN


As per a previous Blog post, I have always wanted a rose garden. Well, now I have one! Mom, dad and I went to Valley View Farms out in Hunt Valley and bought two rose bushes. (I wanted three but was afraid that my garden was too small). I wanted a Pease rose bush, but they only had a Love and Peace rose bush, but I got it. I didn't know when I would get there again and the Love and Peace looked almost like the Peace, so I grabbed it while I had the chance. I also bought a Judy Garland rose bush. A very nice lady who was also shopping for a rose bush (as a present, her rose garden was already full) helped me with my rose bush selection and said that the ones with the buds would probably bloom in a couple of weeks, so I bought ones with buds. She was really helpful and knew a lot about roses. It was such a beautiful day, I could have looked around for hours, but my parents were antsy to get on the road - traffic was horrendous going out there and we wanted to get back before any sort of rush hour. And of course, York Road is always under construction. We did walk through the pond area, and I wanted a fountain and statuary and a pond, etc. I didn't think that any of that stuff would fit in my less than four feet by four feet garden (or in my budget), so I settled on a small frog with big bug eyes. We did stop at the Amish Market for a quick lunch and a box of donuts and some fruit. Everything there is expensive, but it was all yummy. It was a great day to be out and about - a real treat before heading back to the hospital next week. I was fairly exhausted after the shopping and lunch excursion, so we just dropped the potted rose bushes off at my house for the night. Dad took me over there the next morning and luckily the garden was in the shade (I can't be in the sun because the chemo makes me super sun sensitive). Dad did all the hard work - raking up the mulch, shoveling out the hole, carrying the bushes, getting them out of the pots, etc. Mosly, all I did was decide which spot to plant them in and pull a few stray weeds (some gardener I am!). I did place the frog in it's new home in the middle of my rose garden. I took a picture with my cell phone and if I figure out how to upload it, I will. Maybe when I get out of the hospital next time, I will have roses blooming in my garden!

Note: If anyone has been to Sherwood Gardens to see the tulips (Jay?), please give me a status report. I think that I may have missed them this year and I will be in the hospital next week. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment