Friday, November 13, 2009

Bake Someone Happy

If you know me, you know that I like to bake.  Well, I had promised Hannah some cupcakes for St. Michael's Holiday Festival.  My mom didn't want me to bake, etc., we could have just bought something for the cake wheel.  Well, I was determined to bake - I have not done anything like that in a while and wasn't sure if I even could pull it together.  I know that there are a few of you out there that would understand (Betty, Sue, Carol) - it was a challenge and I feel that baking is a part of me and I needed to make sure that I could still do it.  Well, I cheated a little and used a box mix, but the icing was homemade.  Considering I was not in my own kitchen and that I was a bit out of sorts, everything worked out well - I baked Hannah some beautiful bundt shaped cupcakes with white icing and green and red sugar sprinkles.  We only dropped them off at the festival, so I don't know who won them, but it made me feel really good to have done it!  The worst part is that they smelled so good baking in the oven, but right now, I can't stand anything sweet!  I love sweets - is this pure torture or what!!!!

2 comments:

  1. That was so sweet of you. I'm sure Hannah appreciated it. The person who wins the cupcakes is really lucky too. I remember when you baked me a cake for my 30th birthday. (It seems like only yesterday). It was (pink~heart~shaped) and tasted scrumptious too!! You really do know how to "Bake" someone happy :). Love, Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyce - I remember that cake too - I think that it was a basket weave pattern (those cake decorating classes really paid off and advanced my career at the law firm! :). Bonnie and I took the classes together - she would call me the night before with the supply list - to make sure that I had enough supplies for the both of us! I can't tell you how many decorating disasters I had over the years - transporting decorated cakes is a nightmare. Then there was the "isn't Barney supposed to be more purple than fuschia" ordeal. The worst was the castle cake for Megan (9th b-day, I think) - it was like a hundred degrees at the princess tea party and the cake immediately started running and collapsed early on - a Food Network nightmare! Megan said at the end of the day that she hoped that next year I would make a cake that didn't fall down! One of my best decorated cakes ever was a bright yellow cake with gum past violets (like a million of them) - that took me many days to make. It was for my former secretary's retirement, Penny, I copied the pattern from a magazine and shocked myself that I could do it. It was beautiful, but the real test was that it was the best baked from scratch carrot cake - decorating is important, but to me, it is all about the taste. Some of these wild cakes that everyone does now are really interesting, beautiful and exciting, but they just don't taste good. BTW - I gave up the cake decorating business long ago - way too much work for way too little money - once it stopped being fun, it was not worth dong. I only do it now for fun - I do love to bake.

    ReplyDelete