Monday, November 16, 2009

SAN DIEGO NETWORK OF FRIENDS

Last January, I was invited to a wedding reception in San Diego.  Timing was bad, money was tight, work-load was overwhelming, but I wanted to go.  I almost talked myself out of it - the economy was really a mess, it did not seem like a practical time to take a vacation.  Also, I would be traveling alone and other than for the wedding couple, was not sure if I would know anyone.  What finally let me to San Diego was another friends question, "Two months from now, will you be really sorry that you missed the wedding - will you always regret it?".  And, the answer was YES, I knew that I would regret it.  Well, anyone who has talked to me this year knows that I went to San Diego and I had one of the best vacations of my life.  I fell in love with San Diego, reenergized my travel spirit, renewed a long friendship, made new friends, fell in love with the Panda's at the zoo and had an absolutely fabulous time.  Everyone at the wedding, many of which I had never set eyes on before, enveloped me into their plans, I tagged along for breakfasts and lunches and cocktails - I was instantly a part of the crowd and when I returned to Baltimore, my face hurt from using more smile muscles than I knew that I had.  I was made fun of, the whole time I was there.  I was the only person still using a FILM camera.  No one could believe it.  Well, when I got home, my pictures were terrible - lots of side views and backs of heads.  A special thank you to Mary who sent me all of her lovely digital photos from Snapfish.  I put together a photo album of about 200 gorgeous pictures (and some really great pandas and giraffes and even some people who were facing the camera!)  I went home from that vacation with a great memories and lots of new friends.

Well, sometimes all the stars align at the right time and the wedding couple were visiting Baltimore and gathered as many of their wedding guests as they could and invited me along to visit.  I did not want to detract from their fun and I knew that my recent illness would steal some of their spotlight, but I also knew that these people had been so much fun and so kind, that seeing them again would give me a spark.  Well, spark I did.  It was wonderful.  Everyone was so happy to see me and so full of positive thoughts and happiness, that it was again, the right thing to do.  There were a few people there that had not been able to attend the wedding, but I knew from past parties and festivities, and it was wonderful to bond with them as well.  It is funny how once you get talking, the connections of how you all know each other or have met through other people come together.  The other interesting thing is that you find friends of friends that are friend of other friends - so before you know it, you are all sharing common stories.  What a great gathering - last January and last night!  Thank you Frank and Jeff. PS: I'll be back to visit and I need to see those Pandas again! 



No comments:

Post a Comment