Tuesday, May 4, 2010

DRIVING

Today, I drove my car for the first time since October 14, 2009 - the day I left work feeling a bit odd and wound up in the Emergency Room and later in the wee hours of the next morning was diagnosed with a brain tumor. Maybe "drove my car" is a little bit misleading. What I actually did was back my car into the driveway from the front street. Really - I still have a valid drivers license! My first thought was "how %&*%& hot is this steering wheel"? I was not thinking that the car had been sitting directly in the sun for hours and when I put my hands on the steering wheel, I almost screamed. My second thought was "wow, this feels weird" and my third thought was "yeah - let's get on the road again (I am way sick of being "Miss Daisy")". No, I am not crazy (or a big risk taker), I know that I am not permitted to drive yet, and I won't. The car just needed to be moved out of the way of the mail box and it seemed like a good idea to get the feel of the wheel again. I am signed up for the Adaptive Driving Class in early June - it is more of an evaluation than a class, so after that, I will know what I need to do in order to drive legally (maybe nothing; maybe some classes or bigger mirrors; and maybe a big ordeal - remember that the MVA will be involved!). I am truly grateful for everyone that has driven me to appointments, stores, errands, and lunches, etc., but I really need to drive again. I had no idea how not being able to drive limits your freedom and independence. Soon - real soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment