Wednesday, May 5, 2010

WITH DEEPEST SYMPATHY

I am saddened by the passing this week of my sister's friend, Connie, from brain cancer. Connie was one of the "school network" of friends that my sister has. The school network has been a wealth of great support to my sister and me and are responsible for lots of laughter due to the humorous emails that they forward. They have also showered me with prayers and good wishes, all of which are greatly appreciated. Connie's two children attend the same school as my niece Hannah. When I was first diagnosed with the brain cancer, Connie offered my sister compassion and advice. She had been fighting brain cancer for some time and had been through various treatments and knew how difficult some of the side effects were. She wanted to share information that would help me get through the treatments with less side effects. My sister had warned me of the horrible metal taste that could occur during chemotherapy long before I had ever experienced it, and thanks to Connie, I had some home remedies to help alleviate it. She shared a secret concoction of various over the counter medicines that was good for mouth sores as well.
I did not know Connie well, but had met her at a school function or fundraiser here or there. My sister kept me updated on Connie's battle with cancer and I know that my sister kept Connie updated on my own struggles. It may seem strange, but I felt a certain kinship with Connie - we were both traveling a path that neither of us wanted to be on. A treacherous path with an unknown outcome. Connie traveled her path not only for herself, but for her husband and two children. As with all difficult journeys, we both knew that the key was to keep moving forward, as best as we could. Connie was a strong woman of great faith and courage. Via my sister, she sent me some Holy Water, positive thoughts and good wishes and lots of encouragement. She gave my sister support during my major health setback during the holiday season. She helped my sister be hopeful, even when there didn't seem to be much hope. My body (with the help of faith, family, friends and medical professionals) overcame that major health setback and I have struggled with renewed determination to fight the cancer and someday be in remission. I know that Connie was also determined to stay on the path to recovery and remission and that her own faith, family, and friends were helping her. But sadly, Connie's cancer path had taken a bumpier course recently and I was deeply saddened to hear of her passing. I know that Connie was a woman of great faith and I am positive that she was welcomed into Heaven with a strong warm and loving embrace. I thank God that her struggles are over and wish her family and friends comfort during this time of grief. May each of us remember to celebrate Connie's life and the lives of those that she touched with her grace. I know that Connie's spirit and kindness will always be remembered by me and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment