Thursday, September 23, 2010

CONSULTATION WITH RADIATION ONCOLOGIST

Yes, another week full of appointments. Monday was the "big" consultation with the Radiation Oncologist. Many of you have asked about the consultation and I don't think that I have been able to give a good answer regarding the consultation. Mostly because it is all rather complicated. In short, this is the situation: The treatment protocol for my type of cancer (CNS Lymphoma) is chemotherapy (high dose methotrexate) and whole brain radiation ("WBR"). In my case, I started with surgery to remove the tumor, but that is not the "normal" for lymphoma. Apparently, the surgery was more to save my eyesight and stop the tumor growth and not to rid my body of the cancer. I am not certain that I ever totally realized that. So much happened so fast last October (yes, almost a full year ago). Those first few weeks after diagnosis are still a bit of a blurr! So, after the surgery, I started the chemotherapy treatments - initially 8, every other week (with the break in-between for the bacterial infection, pneumonia, coma, etc. (a/k/a Major Health Setback). After living through the 8 chemotherapy treatments and the Major Health Setback, I started the "maintenance" chemotherapy which consisted of 6 monthly chemotherapy treatments. All 14 of the chemotherapy treatments are now over (woo hoo!). So, as treatment protocol's go - it is now time for radiation and in this case, WBR. The problem with WBR is that it is controversial and could cause some rather serious side effects. On the good side, it could also give me a much greater chance of remission and survival. The Radiation Oncologist was great - really explained the different studies and reasons to have the radiation vs. the reasons not to have the radiation. The decision is now up to me and it is a tough one. As I promised my oncologist, I will make an informed decision. There are lots of reasons for and lots of reasons against the WBR - all too technical and way too deep to outline here. The bottom line is that each is risky and I have to decide which risk I am more willing to take. (A real conundrum for me - my friends would tell you that I am not a "risk taker" and these days, I have a hard enough time deciding where to eat lunch :). Although I am mostly against WBR, I want to consult with my oncologist and then I will make my decision. On the positive side, at this point, my body does not seem to have any cancer - so for now, we beat it! Update to follow. Keep sending me your positive thoughts and prayers - please know that they are appreciated and are working!

No comments:

Post a Comment