Thursday, September 2, 2010

MUSIC THAT TRANSPORTS

I found a concert ticket stub while rummaging through some paperwork at my house today. The ticket stub was to see Dan Fogelberg in concert at The Capital Centre on October 16, 1981. The ticket cost $11.00. I was immediately transported back in time. I can remember being so excited to see Dan Fogelberg - I loved his music in the late 70's, early 80's. I was in college in 1981 and music was always a topic of conversation with my college buddies. I probably attended more concerts in that four year period than I have seen in all the other years of my life! I can picture the album cover for "The innocent Age" - it had a doll sitting in front of a tombstone in a cemetery. I loved that album. I played it over and over again prior to the concert. It was the kind of concert where it was just a guy with a guitar - I don't really remember, but am fairly certain that there were no fireworks or special effects - sure there was probably other musicians, but nothing memorable. I doubt that there was even a "costume" change. I remember sitting mesmerized listening to every word of every song. I also remember that the radio station that covered the concert played Fogelberg's songs after the concert - they knew that it took forever to get out of the parking lot at The Capital Centre and they would have a captive audience! There are various artists and certain songs that have great meaning in my life. I am sure that it has a lot to do with timing. The music of Dan Fogelberg will forever remind me of college. I know that Dan Fogelberg died a few years ago of cancer - I remember when I heard it, I was saddened. It was as if an old friend had died. At least the old friend left behind some great music to remember him by!

1 comment:

  1. Great story Deb ~ The only concert I went to when I was younger was to see Donny Osmond. I was in Girl Scouts and the whole troop went. Wow ~ that's pretty sad.
    I hope you are getting stronger every day. Looking forward to seeing you soon.
    Love, Joyce

    ReplyDelete