Monday, March 29, 2010

MY TIME BETWEEN CHEMO TREATMENTS CAN'T BE OVER YET

I can't believe it. I have to go back to he hospital for another chemotherapy treatment tomorrow! Where did my three weeks go?
Well, I had lots of physical therapy appointments. I am gaining strength and stamina and I have lots of sore muscles. I am pretty good on the steps and even walked around Walmart today! I've been to the grocery store a few times, but still have problems walking and carrying things at the same time - not sure if that is a strength issue or a coordination issue! (I have always been clumsy).

I had my eyes checked. I ordered and acquired new glasses. Apparently part of my eye issues these last few months had to do with my progressive lenses being in frames that were too small for them, as well as the frames having been horribly bent out of shape and mangled due to the bandages from my brain surgery and the various hospital stays. I won't say that my new glasses fixed my vision issues 100%, but they have done a lot of good and I can read much better now - both books and the computer!

I bought a wig - yes, I don't believe it myself, but I did. A wig! I had been a scarf/hat person - not really caring what people thought and or the stares that I would sometimes get. I had not even thought of buying one and then when I realized that I had at least six more months of being without hair (or in reality, with patchy hair) on my head, I decided that I might need a wig. If my hair had fallen out completely, maybe it wouldn't have been so bad - but instead of a clean, bald head, I have these patchy spots of hair and no hair. What is that all about??? Anyway, I couldn't shave it off and look like Mr. Clean - I have the big ugly C minus scar from the surgery and there was no way that I was going around as a C minus. So, a wig was purchased. Well, the wig has been out and about with me three times and it has received very mixed reviews. My dad totally hates it. He has been very vocal about it. (Good thing that I am not sensitive about that sort of thing! :) My mom loves it, but wishes that it had a bit more curl or pizaaz or something. My sister likes it, but says that it is not "me". Some other friends have loved it and said that it was totaly "me". Oh well, I think that it is okay and that is all there is to it. I still wear my little caps for casual wear and to physical therapy (all I need is the wig to fly off while exercising). Mom also bought me a big floppy hat - very stylish - for wearing in the sun. The chemo makes me extremely sun sensitive and those few sunny days recently caused me some minor skin irritation issues, so I bought myself some heavy duty sun screen and a big floppy hat - so now I am prepared for the sun. So, bring it on - I love sunshine!

Also, these last few weeks, I have made a million or so phone calls. I hate all the tape recordings that I have listened to lately. The insurance company is on my last nerve. The Adaptive Driving class that I am required to take is still a mystery and the MVA - well, need I say more - again another loop of answering machines and never a real live person to answer my questions. I thought that being recertified to drive was going to be a simple matter - well no - it is quite complicated and I have not gotten a straight answer from anyone yet. Well, I'll try some more calls this week. The only thing I do know is that I really need to be able to drive again - I am tired of being Miss Daisy! (Hmm - maybe if dad had a limo and wore a little cap, maybe then it would be okay :) Actually, I have to be super thankful to everyone who has driven me around and gotten me to appointments these last 5 months or so - I don't know what I would have done without everyones help. I have been especially thankful for the people who have driven me to fun events (lunches, dinners, parties, etc.), especially since there have been so few fun events these last few months, but again, I have been lucky to have as many as I have had and that there are lots more to come as I feel better and better. It is difficult not being able to do what you want and go where you want when you want to do it. I know, I am being whiny!

Well, I did lots of other things in the past few weeks, but I am tired now and going to bed. I need to be ready when the hospital calls in the morning. I'll send another update soon. Keep the positive thoughts coming my way and stay in touch. Only 6 more chemotherapy treatments to get through! But, I am still taking this one step at a time, so for now, I am just trying to get through tomorrow and get admitted into the hospital for the first of my monthly chemo treatments.
Updates to follow in about a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment