Monday, January 25, 2010

CANCER SUCKS

Two friends lost their mothers to cancer this week. My thoughts and prayers are with both of them and their families during this difficult time. So many families are impacted everyday by this terrible disease and it seems to just be more and more of it. May happy memories and the power of the love they shared give them comfort from their grief. I am so fortunate to have both of my parents and more fortunate that they are able to take care of me during this ordeal. I try to let them know how much I appreciate them everyday, but I am certain that I don't always remember.

It seems like everyone that I talk to is dealing with someone in some sort of treatment for cancer - it seems like it is everywhere. When I am in the hospital, I am on the 4th floor, known as the "chemo" floor. I am not one for walking through the hallways, but when I do, I often see other patients walking around with their IV poles getting their chemo treatments - all very surreal. Did you know that a nurse has to be certified in chemotherapy in order to administer chemo and/or work with patients undergoing chemo? That is why the 4th floor is the chemo floor - all the certified chemo nurses are concentrated on that floor. I don't know what would possess someone to be a chemo nurse - I couldn't do it! I do know that 99% of the chemo nurses that I have encountered have been amazing people. Kind, caring, informative. The nurses can make the difference between a good day and a bad day. At shift change (7:00 am and 7:00 pm), the on-duty nurse comes to your room and writes her name on your board - it is always good to know your nurses name. It is a little scary that I know most of them when they show up - I have clearly been in the hospital way too much! Most of them are really friendly and are actually concerned about your well being and care. The really good ones remember to turn out the overhead lights that you can't reach from your bed after they come in with your meds at 3:00 am!

On a more positive note, I know that the medical community has come a long way with cancer - just in the ten years since my last bout with cancer - there are so many new treatments and medicines. So much more knowledge and hopefully, many more cures and long term treatments. Just the number of "cancer centers" in the Baltimore area is amazing (thanks to the Weinbergs!). I am thankful to all the medical professionals, doctors, nurses, researchers, etc. who have made the treatment and cure of cancer their profession!

No comments:

Post a Comment