Sunday, January 31, 2010

SNOW DAY

I felt like a school kid yesterday with the big snow. Not that I had anywhere to go or that I was going anywhere, it was just that the snow gave me the "permission" to not feel guilty for wrapping in a blanket and watching movies and cooking shows and eating snacks and just hanging out with my parents all day. It was a good day - I felt well from the time I woke up and had energy and strength. The snow outside the window was so pretty - giant flakes covering the evergreens, traffic moving slowly. Since I didn't have to drive in it or shovel it, I really enjoyed the snow. It was a winter wonderland out my window. Treat yourself - take a snow day!

I did all of my exercises (and yes, my muscles and joints are still sore) and even tried some new ones on a foam roller that Mom bought me (because she saw it on Dr. Oz's show and if Dr. Oz has it, it must be good). Good thing no one was here to see me rolling off the foam roller - it looked so easy to use, but is really hard and kind of painful (although the woman on Dr. Oz's show said that it was "good pain"). I am sure that I was a pretty site! The foam roller (promoted by Gold's Gym) says that it is for flexibility, endurance, strength and for aching muscles. I think that it worked real well to make my muscles ache! After all that exercise, I deserved to watch countless Lifetime Movies and the Food Network. I even spent time looking up the recipes and printing them off the internet. Ask me in a month or so if I ever made any of those dishes - my Mom wanted us to cook everyone of them - if we only had all those ingredients! :) Needless to say, we never made any of them, but they all looked mighty good.

I did do a little cooking while home from the hospital this time. Apparently chicken was my theme. My Mom and I (with Dad's help doing some of the chopping and pounding) made Chicken Noodle Soup with Escarole in it. It was something that my grandmother used to make and it was really good comfort food. We were proud of ourselves. I also made chicken salad, chicken in lemon sauce with artichokes and chicken marsala. It felt good to be useful and to do something that I love to do - cook. Although in my weakened state, I was a lot like the cooking show chefs, I did all the fancy/important parts of the cooking and Mom and Dad did all the prep work and clean up - hmm, I think that I planned that exactly right. Needless to say - I am totally sick of chicken!

Aside from cooking, exercise and watching television, I did do a lot of paperwork, talked on the phone (a lot), sent a bunch of emails, texted my friends and enjoyed the company of a few visitors. I also listened to some music. I guess not that productive by most people's standards, but one of the most productive and enjoyable times away from the hospital that I have had since this cancer ordeal started for me.

So, I guess what I am saying is that I have eaten well and enjoyed my time in-between hospital visits and that I am totally miserable that I have to go back to the hospital tomorrow for round six! Actually, I am ready to get these treatments over with - so the sooner I get chemo six underway, the sooner it will be over and that is my goal at the moment - get it over with!

No comments:

Post a Comment