Tuesday, February 23, 2010

GOOD NEWS - I CAN DRINK 'THIN" LIQUIDS AGAIN

Ever since the Major Health Setback Event in December (I don't know what else to call it), I have had a swllowing disorder known as dysphagia. The dysphagia was caused by the tube down my throat during that time and may been swelling and/or scar tissue. The doctor was hopeful that it would get better, but many elderly people never recover. The problem was that thin liquids, like water, would not go down my throat and would cause me to choke. There could have been serious side effects from attempting to drink the thin liquids. So, I had to start drinking "thickened" liquids. Let me tell you - it was horrible. First, I had to order the stuff on-line for home use and the hospital seemed to keep running out of it, so I felt like I was always having someone search for a drink for me. Everytime I wanted a drink (and I need to stay hydrated), I had to add this thickening powder to the drink or find one of the pre-made drinks, and they tasted gritty and gross. The other problem was that it never quenched my thirst - sort of like drinking a milkshake (but not as good), I always want a glass of water afterwards. The thickener had to be put in everything - hot tea, coffee, thin broth in soup, water, juice, etc. Totally inconvenient and totally yuky.

Anyway, the good news is, that after a while and lots and lots of me complaining and griping about the thickened drinks, I can now drink regular thin liquids. I WILL NEVER TAKE A SIP OF WATER FROM THE BATHROOM SINK FOR GRANTED AGAIN! Oh, it was such a happy moment when I realized that I could drink a plain glass of water again. So - one more bad thing is off my plate and my road to recovery has gotten a little easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment